Thursday 22 November 2012

Personal Statement


I am currently studying the BTEC Foundation in Art and Design after enjoying the subject at school and achieving a grade B in my GCSE and doing the BTEC Extended Diploma and achieving a triple distinction.

For as long as I can remember, I have loved art. I have always had art as a part of my life and I will continue to do so. To me, art makes everything exciting, brighter and less mundane.  Art, is everywhere. This is why I decided that as well as enjoying art in my spare time, I wanted to develop my skills and study it further.

A big part of my work is developing other areas such as sculpture and costume into a way that I enjoy it. I experiment a lot with different materials and I feel like doing the extra year on the foundation course has expanded my contextual knowledge and knowledge of materials. My drawing skills have also grown and I have developed an unusual way of conveying my design ideas. I enjoy working in different medias, I particularly love working with charcoal and paint, I enjoy the freedom of these medias and I can express myself in a unique way and be loose with my work. Painting is my main subject area and this is where I believe my strengths lie, with paint I feel like I can create any mood, emotion and situation and I can create the most tones and texture. I think a particular strong point of my work is my mark making skills and I can bring a painting to life and give it a feel of movement.  Another project that I believe has brought my skills out was the dreams project. I have done some charity work at Carlton Youth Centre in Worksop, I did some paintings on the walls and this was recognised in the local newspaper.

I have chosen fine art because my own creativity is not limited. Fine art allows me to be free and also gives me the scope to build upon my own style and develop my ideas in many different ways. Particular artists that have influenced my work are Leon Kossoff and Franz Marc. These two artists work in a similar way to me, both are expressionist painters with a loose style of working and both use similar mark making techniques.

I have enjoyed my time in further education and I am ready to go onto degree level. I am enthusiastic and ready to accept the exciting challenges ahead and the experiences that university will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment